Skip to main content

Trade Expertise: Is It Dead?

What are the qualities of expertise? An expert must continuously pursue knowledge and advance through professional development and education. One of the problems with young advertisers today is that many are not true experts in the field. I recently asked a friend how many advertising books had he read, he responded by saying none because reading about advertising is insignificant and experience is king. In my opinion, experience is very important, but like my old friend Niccolo Machiavelli once said: " A wise man ought always to follow the paths beaten by great men, and to imitate those who been supreme, so that if his ability does not equal theirs, at least it will savour of it." We young advertisers have to stop acting like we know it all and heed the words of advertising pioneers like David Ogilvy. Mr. Ogilvy has two books where he honestly talks about the craft and discusses his experience in this industry. His books should be required reading for very advertiser.

I know I'm preparing myself but I hope my colleagues will eventually begin to understand that experience is not an advertiser's only requirement. Anyone can gain experience through mistakes, but than who would give you a job. If we look at the work of our predecessors and listen to the advice that they left behind within their books, our professional advancement in this craft will be certain and mush easier.

Comments