Skip to main content

From Unemployment to Employed By Faith

I started my career 9 years ago and have to say that God has always provided employment without much delay. When I graduated from college, I waited a few weeks for the employer to respond, but I lived with my parents so no pressure. While employed I usually already had a better offer on deck before leaving an employer. I never really faced the impact of unemployment, that is until four months ago, and man it does really have a major impact! If you are currently unemployed, my post today is for you so you know what helped me through my four months: my faith in God's promises.

Have faith that God will deliver you from problems you caused yourself, and bless you through wrongs others have done.

Throughout my months of unemployment, I had the opportunity to reflect on what landed me there, God knows I had the time to do it, lol. He helped me understand that I made mistakes that I needed to learn from. I took advantage of certain flexibilities and should have paid more attention to weak areas. He also helped me realize that I was not the only problem as not everyone will like you. Jesus Himself says in Luke 6:26, “Woe to you, when all people speak well of you, for so their fathers did to the false prophets.” Despite your mistakes or an unjust situation/boss, if you turn to God, He will have your back. David, inspired by the Holy Spirit of God says in Psalm 50:15, "Call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me."

Have faith that God is in complete control and will provide. God is God. He knows all things and your needs.

He knows there are bills to pay, rent to cover and a need for food on the table. As soon at I started feeling the pressure, I prayed and asked God to hear my supplication and grant me the peace of Jesus Christ. I firstly sought after God and put my trust in Him knowing He is in control of everything. I can now give testimony that my wife and I never lacked a thing during the four months. Our parents helped with rent, bills and our credit line covered other expenses. As Jesus promises in Matthew 6:33, "But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." When I interviewed for jobs, I asked God in faith to give me the right words and put favor in the hearts of those interviewing me, like I said, He controls everything, including the heart of every hiring manager so that His will be done. "The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the LORD; he turns it wherever he will (Proverbs 21:1)."

God is Faithful, so faithfully believe that He has a perfect plan for each day you are unemployed.

Instead of looking at each calendar day pass by with dread, consider each day unemployed as a time God has predestined for you to faithfully seek Him with all your soul and strength. God has a meaningful activity for you during each of those days. Wake up and start the day reading The Bible, then search/apply for jobs, make follow-up calls and attend interviews, but always keep God and His promises in your thoughts as you do these things. God will work behind the scenes with each prayer, job application and interview. I applied to over 70 jobs online, and during the process I made some great contacts, learned a lot about myself, grew in patience, perseverance and faith in God's unfailing love (Romans 5:3-5). God used each day to help me grow in my relationship with Him, which led to my growth professionally according to His will. Consider Psalm 139:16, "Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."

God will provide the job you need. Not necessarily the job you want.

I started my first month of unemployment confident in my own experience, accomplishments and resume. After my second and third month of disappointments, I realized I was not as hot as I thought. There are a lot of qualified job seekers out there, which cause hiring managers to think about the most subjective details, such as your tone of voice over a phone interview, appearance during a live interview, answers on a pre-employment test, etc. Always keep in mind that God looks at your heart, not your accomplishments, appearance or experience. "But the LORD said to Samuel, 'Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.' " I also came very close to landing a great job. I was interviewed three times and was really excited about my chances. After the third interview, I was told the hiring manager decided to proceed with someone else. It hurt a bit, but I turned to God and said "You know what is best for me and the family You have given me." I needed to faithfully believe that He would provide the best opportunity for me and my family according to His will, not necessarily what I perceived was the best opportunity for myself and my career.  Isaiah 55:9 says "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

Whether employed or unemployed, we have all sinned, but Jesus Christ was born to fulfill all of God's laws, He died to pay the price of our sins and He redeemed us back unto God the Father. If you turn to Jesus Christ and put your faith in Him, whatever you ask in His name according God's will, Jesus will do, even provide you with the job you need (John 14:12-14). First seek God through Jesus Christ and put your faith in Him, God will then fulfill every promise He’s made to you in His Word.

Comments