Skip to main content

The P/T Scarcity

The part-time scarcity in the advertising industry is an issue that probably affects many college students including myself.

I was lucky enough to work for a year as a part-time AAE at a multicultural advertising agency; however, now that I'm looking for a similar position, it has proved a difficult task.

I went for an interview at a renowned and currently hot on the radar advertising agency. Everything was perfect, and I even thought I had a good chance of getting the job until...yep...I mentioned the part-time thing. The account director's expression literally went from positive to hesitant. Before I left someone encouraged me to apply for the internship program.

It's understandable that agencies want workers who can give 100% of their time to clients. If that client brings in a lot of money, the person in charge would not want to pay someone who juggles a lot of responsibilities like school. For that they might as well get an intern who can probably do the same work for free. This kind of attitude has to change.

Nowadays, college students have many responsibilities; some of them can not afford to work four months for free. They might be married, live alone, or have members to support. This fact unfortunately holds back many students who possibly have a lot of potential and can contribute something special to an agency. All they need is a chance to learn.

There should be some P/T positions available at advertising agencies; if not, the internships should at least be paid (I have heard stories of agencies not even paying for transportation or food).

Let me know what anybody thinks.

Comments